Sunday 31 March 2013

Donegal break


Writing a blog is a new experience for me, it is an enjoyable exercise, and it seems there are others taking some note, not just my two friends (K & C) in the new world, :). So although I have headed north for a week to Co. Donegal where my other footprint lies I am going to seek the internet and post some more.
I am usually close to Swansea Bay writing but this is being written near the shores of Mulroy bay, I'll post it looking over Lough Swilly those two runs of water enclosing my other ancestors: Kelly's Logue's, McAteer's, Coll's, Friel's et al.
To make a tenuous connection to my other footprint, this is very near to Rathmullan (10k) where in 1607 the ancient Gaelic chieftains of Tir Connell left for France in despair at Elizabeth I and her design for Ireland, plans which of course would need Sir Thomas, I wonder what he would make of the Colclough diaspora. Lough Swilly is also where Wolfe Tone was captured by the British in 1798, a year which came to a head for my namesake, I wonder what he would make of the Colclough diaspora.
I am using my Kindle for this (other well priced tablets are available) so access to my books articles and electronic resources are limited. I will be going back to South Wales next weekend so will put some more primary and secondary sources on here then, I think I have enough for months yet.
As we drove north from Roslare we passed familiar names to Colclough lore and fact, in no particular order: Enniscorthy, Kiltealy, Ferns, Wexford town, Carlow, Rathnure, Killanne, and while I think of it on the other side of the Irish sea, Haverfordwest where a supposed granddaughter of Charles 1 came from whose marriage to a Colclough I do not doubt but whose provenance I am unsure of.
Looking at my family history, many sources are wills and their contentions. They are good places for context and good for hidden truths, but oh dear, tell a story of envy, jealously, primogeniture, but overall do not be born out of the marriage confines!
I, need to know where I am from so I know where to go next not because I want what they had, I am proud of Colclough heritage in its addition to Donegal Ireland which equals music, sport, academia, and craic but which, of course is equal to all your Colclough additions...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need a map! Enjoy ;~)