Sunday 17 March 2013

Sir Thomas, some wills, and branching.


First of all happy St. Patrick's day:
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh.

So back to a family narrative:
Sir Thomas (son of Sir Anthony) married twice, this is where branching begins, also within these documents as I have previously mentioned dying without issue is not necessarily the case because many of these documents have the ulterior motive of proving descent for inheritance – (a good old Irish custom!)
I've also put some wills below.
 

1591 Sir Thomas Colclough of Tintern Abbey, Knight, who was born at Rosegarland, Co Wexford, the 1st of April, 1564. He was knighted by the Lords Justices, the 24th Oct 1591, and had a patent of livery, seized and warden of intrusion in his estates, dated 16th Feby, 6th James I (1609). He was for many years in the commission of the peace for the County Wexford, and married first, Martha 4th daughter of Sir Adam Loftus, Archbishop of Dublin and Lord Chancellor of Ireland. She died 19th March 1609, and was buried in St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, having had issue six sons and
five daughters, viz.
1. Thomas died before 1609, s.p.
2. Sir Adam, who succeeded to the Tintern Estates.
3. John of Pouldairig, (living 1642) who married Katherine daughter of Sir
Walter Sinnott Knight, son and heir of Richard Sinnott of Ballybrittas alias
Rosegarland Co. Wexford, Esq.,(Knight of the Shire in 1559) and died before May
1649 leaving issue two sons and four daughters viz.
  1. Adam, died 1652,s.p. nuncupation Will dated 1652;
  2. Anthony, died young, s.p.
  3. Mary married James Butler of Clough, same Co. Esq., of the Barons Kayers    family.
  4. Martha, married Thomas Cullen of Cullenstown.
  5. Clara, a nun.
  6. Katharine, died unmarried.
4. Richard, (son of Sir Thomas) living 1624 died s.p.
5. Leonard, / died young.
6. Anthony, / died young.
7. Anne (eldest daughter of Sir Thomas) married Nicholas Bagenal Esq.,
Grandson of Sir Nicholas Bagenal of Newry, Knight Marshal, and son of Dudley
Bagenal Esq., who purchased the Barony of Idrone from the Kavanaghs and was
killed by them, and nephew of Sir Henry Bagenal Knight Marshal of Ireland,
mentioned in Sir Walter Scotts “Rokeby”. She wedded again to Sir Thomas Butler,
Bart. of Garryhundon or Clogrennane, Co. Carlow
8. Jane, married John Wogan of Weston Hall Esq., Pembrokeshire, head of
that ancient house, issue.
9. Martha, married John Pigott eldest son of Sir Robert Pigott of the Dysert,
Queens County, Knight, issue.
10. Eleanor, married Bryan Kavanagh of Poulmonty and Borris, Co. Carlow,
Chief of his nation, issue two daughters who died young.
  1. Mary, married Sir Nicholas Walsh of Ballycarrigmore Co. Waterford, issue.


Sir Thomas Colclough espoused secondly 1612, Eleanor 2nd daughter of Dudley
Bagenal of Dunleckney Co. Carlow, Esq., (2nd son of Sir Nicholas Bagenal of Newry,
Knight, Marshal of Queen Elizabeth’s armies in Ireland) by Mabel daughter of George
Fitzgerald of Teeroghan Esq., She married again as third wife to Luke Plunket Baron
Killeen, and first Earl of Fingal, and died November 1632, having had issue by Sir
Thomas Colclough two sons and one daughter, viz.
1. Dudley who succeeded under his father’s will to the Duffry estates, and
of whom hereafter. (JC this is where my bit of the family originates probably)
2. Anthony of Rathlin, Co.Carlow.
1. Mabel who died unmarried.
Sir Thomas Colclough died 23 August 1624, (probate granted to relict 2nd December1624, and letters of administration subsequently granted to his eldest surviving son Sir Adam in the Prerogative Court Dublin 1627). He was buried with great pomp and ceremony in the Church built by himself for Sir Anthony in the Demesne at Tintern on the 23rd September 1624, 

 
Wills of Sir Anthony, then Sir Thomas:

Sir Anthony Colclough of Tintern Abbey in the County Wexford, Knight
In the name etc., Item. I do constitute my wife, the Lady Clare Colclough my true and faithful executor. Item. I do bequeath to my wife, my house of Tintern with the appurtenances for the term of her life, and further unto my said wife, all my household stuffs and goods etc., belonging to said house, and after her decease, I do bequeath the sd house and lands thereof unto my son Thomas Colclough, who I have made my heir, and in case the sd Thomas dies before he comes to lawful years, the like grant I make unto my son Leonard Colclough”. Leaves his son Thomas, his farms in Bannow, Kilturk, and Killcowen, and if sd Thomas should die before his coming of age, then to his son Leonard. Leaves his son Leonard £30 yearly, payable out of Tylkmore besides Stafford, with power to distrain on sd lands in case of non payment. Provided always that his son Thomas shall have the house of Athenry in the Barony of Tintern, and all the lands belonging to the same. “And all the rest of my lands and livings, I bequeath unto my wife the Lady Clare Colclough during her life, within England and Ireland. Item. I do will my Executrix to make up the stone work of the Chancel of Clonmyne higher, and the roof of same, and likewise to make up the Chancel either at Tintern or at-------
Item. If my son Leonard should trouble his brother Thomas by any action or suit at law, for a portion of land now in Hackney, that then I do deny the gift of £30, during his life, off my lands of Tylkemore and I do authorise his brother Thomas to stay it in his own hands, and pay him nothing. Thus I do desire God to forgive me, and have mercy on my soul”.
In witness whereof, I have etc., this ... September 1584
Anthony Colclough.

This below is interesting in itself I am sure that many of these documents were burnt when Tintern was tidied up before being given to the nation! JC
This Will was probably proved in England, as I can find no record in the
Irish Courts. The foregoing extracts were copied by me (Beauchamp Colclough1) 26th
Novr 1854, from a manuscript book in the hand writing of the late Caesar Colclough
of Tintern Abbey.

In the name of God, Amen, I, Sir Thomas Colclough of Tynterne Knight, being thanks be to God in my perfect memorie, doe make this my last will and testament in manner and forme followings - ffirst all my goods and my farme of lande and passage of the Ferry of the Banno, I bequeath unto my eldest son Adam Colcloughe,and to his assignes; all the Rectories and Tiethes of the Killmore,I leave them to my seconde sonn John Colcloughe for and during his natural life, he paying his Majestie the rent referred out of the same.The Rectories and Tithes of St.Molines, being part in the County of Wexford, and part in the County of Catherloghe and the glebe lands thereof woorthe foure poundes sterling issuing by the yeare out of the house and landes of Cowlebacke for the said town and Beggerie,
I do leave and also bequeath unto my third sonne Richard Colcloughe for and during his natural life. The one half of the Rectorie of Inistioge in the Co. of Kilkenny, I bequeath unto my youngest sonn Anthony Colclough for and during his natural life. 
And all my lande in the Duffrey with the tiethe rents thereof, I leave and bequeathe unto my sonn Dudley Colcloughe and to the heirs males of his boddie, and for want of such heirs males, unto my youngest sonn Anthony Colclough and to the heirs males of his boddie and for want of such heirs males, unto my eldest sonn Adam Colcloughe and to the males heirs of his boddie, and in that manner to the rest of my sonns. My wyfe’s jointure, I have already made and assured to her, which I ordain and so declare to be in lieu of her dower of all my landes in Englande and Irelande.
My eldest sonn Adam Colcloughe, I do leave my sole executor of this my last will and testament ,and whereas I have levied a fine, and suffered a recoverie to certain feoffees the intent whereof I do therein declare, that my eldest sonn shall stand seized of all my lands, rents, rectories, with their appurtenances within the realmes of Irelande and Englande, unto him onelie during his naturall life, the remainder to the heir males of his boddie lawfully begotten and to be begotten, and for the want of such heirs males, the remainder to the seconde sonn, John Colcloughe, and to the
heirs males of his boddie, and for want of such heirs males, the reminder to my third sonn Richard Colcloughe and his heirs males, and for the want of such heirs males of his boddie, the remainder to my sonn Dudley Colcloughe, and his heirs males, and for want of such heirs males, the remainder to my sonn Anthony Colcloughe, and his heirs males, and for want of his heirs males, the remainder to my nephew Anthony Colcloughe of Oulde Rosse, and the heirs males of his boddie, and for want of such heirs males, the remainder to my Cousin Caesar Sampson Colclough, and to the heirs males of his boddie, and for want of such heirs males, to the heirs males of my Cussen Bartholemew FitzThomas of the Delph House, and for want of such heirs males, to my Cussen Colcloughe of Broadfield in Staffordshire and his heirs for ever.
Witness mine own hand the 21st daie of February, and therewith I have fixed my
seale in ye year of our Lord 1623.
Tho Colclough.
Present at the signing sealing perfecting hereof those whose names follow,
Edmonde Birne, Joh. Pigott, Thomas Butler,
Edmonde Conraghe, John Griffith, Anthony Proctor.


To all christian people to whom these presents shall come,Sir Thomas Colcloughe of Tynterne in the Co Wexford Knight greetinge, in one Lord God everlasting. Know yee that whereas it doeth appear by a Tripartite Indenture of Covenante and agreement betwixt the sd Sir Thomas Colcloughe Knight on the first part, Sir Robert Riche Knight, and one of the Masters of the Courte of Chancerie in the realme of Englande, and Sir Alexander Temple of Chaldwell in the Co of Essex Knight, on the second parte, Adam Colcloughe sonn and heir apparent of the sd Sir Thomas, and Alice the eldest daughter of the sd Sir Robert Riche on the third part, that the sd Sir Thomas maie by his last will and testament demise to his daughter Mabell Colcloughe, all the landes, tenements, rentes, rectories, farmes, and all others the hereditaments in the several towns called or known by the name of the Nashe, Booley, Ranegeragh, Ballygarvey, Ouldtown, and Ballytarsney in the realm of Irelande, for the terme of four years next ensuing the time that the said Mabell shall arrive at the age of eighteen years, as more at large by the said deed indented tripartite bearing date
the six and twentieth, daie of March in the year of the reign of our soveraign Lord King James, of the Kingdoms of Englande, France and Irelande the twentieth, and of Scotland, the five and fiftieth doeth and may appear. 
Now for as much as the said Mabell is not advanced by me to marriage, and according to the power that is in me, I the said Sir Thomas Colcloughe doe hereby by this my will and testament, demise to my said daughter Mabell Colcloughe all and singular my lands tenements, rentes, rectories and services in the villages and towns and landes of the Nashe, Booley Ranegoragh, Ballygarvey, Ouldtowne and Ballytarsney with their appurtenances in
the Co of Wexford, and the rents and rectories and services of them, and the rents and tiethes and services of them, and were of them, to have and to holde the said recited premises with their appurtenances unto the said Mabell Colcloughe and to her Executors, Administrators and assignes, for and during the term of foure yeares next ensuing the coming of the said Mabell to the age of eighteen years, if she not attain the said age at the tyme of my deathe, but if she shall attain to the said age before my death, then the said foure years shall comence and begin immediately upon my death, and so continue for foure years without fraude or deceit. Provided always and upon condition that if the said Mabell shal be paid of the some of one thousande poundes sterling for her portion at one entire paymente that then this demise shall void. 

In witness that this my will and testament and intent I caused this my last will
concerninge this occasion to be fairlie written and hereunto fixed my seale and
subscribed my name the third daie of Maie Anno Domi one thousand six hundred
twelve and foure, It is my will alsoe that the rest of my younger children shall have such portions as I have agreed, upon the convenant between me and Sir Robert Riche, and also I leave to my wife the third part of all my goods and chattles and the other two parts to my eldest sonn for the payment of all my debt, the rather he himself is the cause of all my debt. I leave those few things at Moynart to my sonn Dudley with this omission, my new suite of hanging I leave to my eldest sonn, and the old suite to my wife that is in the great Chamber. That, with the above written is my last will and testament, witness my hand and seale the year and daie above written, and further my will is that my wife and my sonn Adam shall be my sole executors.
Thomas Colcloughe. 

I, the said Sir Thomas Colcloughe, doe further appoint my well beloved wife Elleanor Colcloughe after my decease, if it please God to call me before my sonn Dudley Colclough come to the adge of xxi years to be Tutrix and Governess and to dispose both of his landes and other goods and Chattels he being to her accountable, or to her Executors and assignes until he come to the adge aforesaid. Item. I do leave by this my last will unto my said wife, the leases of Killturk and Killcowen, Tho:Colcloughe.
This was acknowledged before us the tenth of August 1624, to be the last will
and testament of Sir Thomas Colcloughe Knight, as witness our hands;
Pat: Sarsfield, Peter Sarsfield, being present at the sealing and publishing thereof the undernamed persons Ja: Ronan, Jane Bromley, Ja: Ronan the younger, John Harries.
Probate was granted on the 2nd Decr 1624, by Edward Clarke to Elleanor
Colcloughe, widow and relict of the deceased, and subsequently, administration by  the Prerogative Court Dublin, to Sir Adam Colclough, dated 9th June 1627.
Note: This will here was obtained from the Chancery Inqs. of Leinster. Inquisition

No comments: